step two - measure
Grab a ladder, get on your roof, and measure your roofline! Here are a few tips when it comes to measuring:
- If it's a tile roof, you can measure based on how many tiles you have going along your roofline.
- If you have soffit joints, you can measure based on how many of those you have along your roofline (they're usually 4 inches wide)
If you don't want to get on a ladder or your roof to measure your roofline, you can use this tool to get a rough estimate. It's an external site and the instructions can be a bit difficult to follow, but it does a good job. Here is how it works:
- Upload a photo of your house
(A screenshot of your house from google maps will often work)
- Draw a reference dimension on the image
(Using your front door works well)
- Enter the real-world distance for that dimension
- Drag lines across your roofline to get those measurements
- Add the measurements
(add a few more feet for good measure)
Keep in mind that this is only a rough measurement and will only work if you want to install lights on one side of your house.